Hosted PBX systems have transformed the face of business communication. Increasingly small and medium business enterprises are making the switch to Virtual PBX business phone systems from the earlier premise-based PBX systems. Though the benefits and cost effectiveness of Hosted IP based PBX systems are enough to make one addicted to them but “all that glitters is not gold”.
Virtual PBX systems are an excellent and affordable alternative to enterprise-class expensive phone systems but there are still some major issues that one needs to know before taking the plunge. One of the biggest issues is the security of these Hosted PBX systems.
For any business enterprise security of its data and communication is critical, which is also a determining factor while making the choice for an IP based Hosted PBX system since all the data is stored at the service provider’s data centers.
Some tips that ensure you have secure business communication when choosing Hosted IP based PBX system.
1. Password protection- The servers should only be accessible by the administrator and protected by the use of secure passwords. Every desktop should be secured by unique passwords. Thus it is necessary to choose strong passwords to save any trouble as hackers and attackers can easily target through common usernames and passwords. For instance, common patterns should not be used for extensions, like 186, 187, 189 etc.
2. Use of Standard Firewalls and on-line security tools- The use of meticulous and updated security measures provides security from unauthorized accessing to the servers. Running applications behind secure firewalls prevents the forbidden IP addresses from hacking into the system. If communication is open, the system can be attacked by Denial of Service which is an extreme attack preventing the user from accessing the available network.
3. Data encryption- Since all the data is transferred over the IP hence it is necessary to encrypt the data and passwords before transmission. Many service providers use standard as well as special keys and algorithms for data encryption that makes it impossible for the hacker to access the information that is transmitted over the internet.
4. Secure Voice Traffic- For transmission of voice data over the high speed broadband network the service providers use standard SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) for security of voice data and information. There is always a possibility of evesdropping on the business calls. To ensure better security of client data and network the SIP standards are deployed for network transmission.
5. Virus and Trojan protection- The use of latest anti-virus software protect the system from being attacked by Viruses and Trojans. The service providers use several popular anti-virus software solutions that are compatible with the user’s system.
6. Hardened OS (Operating System)- Hardening the operating system means that only the necessary settings should be established to ensure security of data. All unnecessary services should be stopped. This may include services like IIS for Windows operating system. By implementing only necessary services the base operating system is secured.
Regular Updating and Monitoring-
- Since all the hardware and software rests with the Hosted PBX service provider hence updating and monitoring are issues are taken care of by them.
- Regular automated updates keep you business communication system up to date.
- Real time monitoring of data and multiple back ups ensure that your communication never goes down.